A source within Professional Footballers Australia has told FMF the player advocacy group would have been publicly involved in Western Sydney Wanderers’ pay dispute sooner if enough people had tweeted about the issue to make the exposure worthwhile.
Talking to FMF as senior PFA officials rode into Sydney on Sunday evening atop their customary white stallions, the source said that prior to news about the dispute breaking on Saturday, there wasn’t any public outcry for the PFA to operate in.
“We regret that we ourselves couldn’t publically say anything until now, but without any existing public discussion, we didn’t feel confident we could’ve made a big-enough deal out of the matter. Have you ever tried to organise a Twitter campaign about something nobody is aware of? If you start seeing players suddenly tweeting the same copy pasted message without any context, you’d be confused wouldn’t you!
“By letting the media break the news first, we were able to put together a strong reactionary response, allowing maximum exposure for us, for minimal effort.”
With players and club officials reportedly no closer to reaching an agreement over how prize money from the Club World Cup should allocated, the source said the PFA and the Wanderers player group should soon be able to negotiate a level of public backlash with the club that would end the standoff.
“We feel for the Wanderers, we really do. How were they to know the collective bargaining agreement had been drafted without the foresight or even optimism that an A-League team could reach the Club World Cup?
“But first and foremost, we’re here for the players, and we won’t rest until the Wanderers players get a deal that looks really good in the public eye. By publicly coming into the issue when public discussion is at its peak, we’ve ensured that no matter how this matter ends, we’ll look really cool and heroic to as wide an audience as possible.”